Halloween Safety Tips for Pets
Halloween is a special time of year for young, old and... pets? With just a few precautions, you can make sure your furry friends have just as good a time as you do during this spookiest of holidays!
1. Trick-or-treat candies are not for pets.
All forms of chocolate can be dangerous, even lethal, for dogs and cats.
2. Don't leave pets out in the yard.
Surprisingly, vicious pranksters have been known to tease, injure, and steal pets on Halloween night.
3. Keep pets confined and away from the door.
Dogs are especially territorial and may become anxious and growl at innocent trick-or-treaters. Wouldn't you if many small humans kept ringing your doorbell dressed as monsters and goblins?
4. Keep outdoor cats inside several days before and several days after Halloween.
Black cats are especially at risk from pranks or other cruelty-related incidents. In fact, many shelters do not adopt out black cats during the month of October as a safety precaution.
5. Keep Halloween produce, like pumpkin and corn, out of reach.
Such produce can induce gastrointestinal upset when ingested in large quantities.
If your dog or cat has a taste for pumpkin, there are plenty of pumpkin-based treats, foods, and supplements available you can give to them!
6. Don't keep lit Jack-o'-lanterns around pets.
They run the risk of burning themselves or knocking it over and causing a fire.
Not to mention, ruining your spooky artwork.
7. Safely stow away any hazardous parts of decorations.
Especially wires that your pet can get caught in. Be mindful of fog machines and dry ice as they can irritate your pet's eyes.
8. Only dress pets in a safe, comfortable, and thoughtful costume.
The costume should not constrict movement, hearing, or the ability to breathe, bark, and meow.
9. Make sure dogs and cats have their ID tag!
If your dog or cat should escape and become lost, having the proper identification will increase the chance of them being returned.
Last but certainly not least:
10. Make them GLOW!
We have a great selection of lights and reflective gear to keep your dog and cat visible at night!