Pets on Broadway, Portland's best locally-owned, independent, full-line pet store, is looking for great people to join our team.
Customer Service Cashier
Approximate Hours Per Week: We're flexible - 20–40 hrs
Pay Range: Starting at $17
Shift: Varies, includes nights and weekends
Job Description Overview:
As a Customer Service Cashier at Pets on Broadway, you are the first person to say hello when a customer walks through the door and the last smile a customer sees on their way out. You maintain a fast-pace, getting pet-parents through the line and out the door quickly while making sure they get outstanding service, an attentive ear, and every need met.
You'll answer lingering product questions, make a complicated return look easy, and graciously help customers out to their car.
You are genuinely excited about finding just the right product for customers, and your energy and enthusiasm are infectious. You love helping people, and people love being helped by you!
At the end of a long day behind the register you feel the satisfaction of knowing you made a difference in the lives of a ton of pets -- and the lives of their humans.
If you have an outgoing, welcoming personality, lots of hustle and energy, and enthusiasm about working with the public, you should apply! Pet experience isn't a prerequisite -- we're mostly interested in hard working people who thrive as part of a very busy team.
Here are a few reasons you might want to work here:
You'll interact with a great cross section of Portland's diverse personalities. Everybody has pets, and they all shop here!
You'll have growth potential. We welcome motivated people with new ideas and action plans. Growth doesn't always mean moving into leadership positions, but often involves creating or participating in a new program, or taking on new responsibilities.
You'll be challenged. We're always trying to find better ways to do things. That means we experiment, change direction, roll out ideas to see if they'll work, and roll them back if they don't. Things aren't usually stagnant here.
You'll learn constantly. Education is our passion. Staff participate in frequent trainings to grow their knowledge and are empowered to improve the lives of all pets. We believe in high standards of care and adapting as the industry changes.
Your autonomy will be celebrated. We really prefer to lay out what needs to be done (or have you identify it yourself) and let you take it from there. The more you are able to get things done on your own, the more we leave you alone. You'll get plenty of direction, but we love not having to double check.
You'll get feedback. You'll know what you are doing great on and what you can work on. You won't have to wonder, and you won't be caught off guard.
You'll make a difference in your community. We work hard to help our customers give better lives to their animals. We also work hard to support local rescues and non-profits. We have regular fundraising events, and we offer paid time off to volunteer.
You'll make a decent living. We start at $17.00 and go up depending on experience and personality. You can get a raise every six months or if you take on new responsibility.
You'll be able to take care of yourself. We pay for 70% of your full coverage Kaiser health care for Full-Time employees, give you a hand with things like gym memberships, and supplement your choice to ride a bike, ride the bus, or run to work.
You'll be able to take vacations. We offer paid time off, and the longer you're here the more you get.
You'll be able to take great care of your pets. We have a great employee discount to help you make pet care choices based on the quality of the product rather than the price tag.
Basically, you'll get as much as you put in. Want to work together? See below for details. . .
- Great communication skills.
- Highly reliable.
- Excellent record of attendance/punctuality.
- Self-motivated, with high attention to detail, quality, and presentation.
- Ability to manage complex and/or difficult customer interactions.
- Ability to read, understand, and follow through on verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to maintain a flexible schedule in order to meet needs of the store.
- Ability to reliably meet the required work schedule and adhere to the company attendance policy.
- Required to work for extended periods of time in direct contact with a variety of animals while potentially exposed to dust, dander, and other allergens.
- Frequently required to work around potentially toxic chemicals associated with certain pet care products.
- Consistently required to stand, reach, grasp, twist and turn, talk, listen and hear, use telephone and walkie-talkie, and make repetitive motions with hands and feet.
- Frequently required to walk, stoop, bend, kneel/squat, fine finger manipulation, and push/pull.
- Occasionally required to climb ladders.
- As needed, the position may require sitting, crawling, driving, and climbing stairs.
- Frequently required to lift up to 40 pounds without assistance.
- Work performed requires medium physical strength.
- Consistently required to use near and peripheral vision, in addition to depth perception.
How to Apply:
- Put together a resume and cover letter outlining why you want to work here and what you can bring to the table.
- Email them to "jobs ( at ) petsonbroadway ( dot ) com" with the documents both in the body of the email and as attachments.
- The subject must read "I love people and pets"
- Only applicants who follow these guidelines will be considered.
Please - no phone calls or drop-ins to the store about the position. It may even hurt your chances of getting a job offer. If we think you might be a good fit, we'll be in touch ASAP.